My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 3 seconds. If not, visit
http://mikegerholdt.com
and update your bookmarks.

April 4, 2007

Know when to say when.

I am here to tell you that doing business with your customers is a privilege and not a right.

At anytime they can fire you.

When a customer decides to stop doing business with you of course you should find out why and try to turn those objections into reasons to buy. You don't just say "ok, thanks!" and walk away. But don't make them feel obligated to stay with you.



Case in point.
I recently fired a salesman who was trying to sell me a product. The product was decent but didn't fit me and my application. Being the customer I know this much better than the salesperson. He tried to save me, and I of course informed him that if my situation changed he would be the first person I contacted.

[It's at this point that you and he should thank me for my time and put me on the back burner.]

But he kept calling and emailing me. He doesn't get it. I fired him. If he would leave me alone I might recommend him or call him when I am in a position to buy. But he won't back away and let me get air. He doesn't know how to back down!

There comes a point in every sale that you have to let the customer come up for air. Regardless of what all of your sales books tell you, this is a good thing. If you give them a chance to look objectively at the situation and keep your distance during this time they will appreciate you more. However, if you continue to smother them they will only back away further.

The Selling Point:
Kenny said it best "You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em." As a salesperson you have to know when to hold on to a customer and when to let them go. Letting a customer go won't be the end of your career. In fact it will only help to strengthen your relationship with them. If you know when to back off, they will appreciate you more.
Selling is give and take. Sometimes you have to give up a little. Knowing when in the relationship that its best for the customer is the key. Don't overwhelm them and worst of all don't badger them. It will only drive them further away.
Learning how to keep your distance when needed will pay off in long the run.
You are in it for the long run right?


No comments: