My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 3 seconds. If not, visit
http://mikegerholdt.com
and update your bookmarks.

May 27, 2007

A Marketer's responsibility

Just because we can, doesn't mean we should. Yesterday, on yahoo sports, I read that they were selling tickets to the right field and filling the seats! The catch? All you can eat at the stadium, dogs, nachos, soda--it's a free-for-all in the right field.

This is all an attempt to increase game attendance and fill the typically empty right field. I am calling it 'The gut appeal'.

What an easy way out. I can just see the headline in a year or two 'Dodger fans: the fattest on earth'.

I highly doubt the reason people were not attending the games was the price of the food. If I had to solve this problem I would give fans a reason to attend and buy tickets in a certain section.

I would make it unique to increase the experience of the game and not their waistline.

Let fans in those seats experience a different side of the game, have players enter on their side of the stadium, make them available for autographs to only ticket holders in those seats.

The Point?
It's easy to temporarily drive up sales or attendance by motivating your base with gluttony, but you have a greater responsibility. When those fans go to the game, they'll say they go for the food, not the love of the game. They don't go because they are brand loyal, they go for the freebie. When people buy your brand do they buy for the discount? Or do they buy because they are loyal to your brand?


No comments: