My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 3 seconds. If not, visit
http://mikegerholdt.com
and update your bookmarks.

May 25, 2007

Toilet water

That is how I expressed the quality of leads I saw coming in from our sales staff after they attended trade shows.

Specifically I said "If you want me to keep giving you toilet water in Salesforce.com I can, but lets try something different."

Sales people hate different. We like to keep doing the same thing we have always been doing but we expect better results.

Different means change, scratch that different means work.

The culprit was those instant scan machines we all love to buy at trade shows. In the past we purchased one for every trade show that offered them. We loved them! And why not, they gave us tons on names at the swipe of the card! How easy was that? TOO EASY! I say, too easy.

When the leads got back to the office, many if not most were only mildly interested in our product. In fact, in the year prior we only closed one deal from a trade show that we had used a card scanner. ONE! That is horrible.

---------------------------------So I drew a line in the sand.---------------------------

"We are going to try it my way." I said. "For this next (major) trade show you don't get a scanner."
I saw them begin to light the torches and gather pitchforks, but I stood firm.
Instead you get lead pads to have the customer write their name down, or you could do it for them. On the back I want information about the discussion you had and their needs.

I don't care how many you come back with, but make sure the ones you come back with were meaningful conversations.

A hush came over the room.

You mean we aren't being graded on whether we come back with a lot of leads?

That is exactly what I am saying.

If you wanted a bunch of leads, I could save us a ton of money by not sending you, the booth and putting you up in hotel by simply buying the conference registration list. A few hundred bucks, and we could ding them via email, direct mail, whatever. But what would that get us? Nothing. I would rather have someone (who knows what their organization needs) stop by and have a conversation with us. That is where the value of the trade show pays for itself. It is that conversation that makes it invaluable that we attend the trade show, we have to open up the lines of communication.

The Selling Point:
In my organization trades shows get a bad rap.
Upper level management has a hard time wrapping their head around the ROI factor, to be honest I think they view it as a vacation for the sales staff. And I am going go out on a limb and say that your organization is the same way.
Which is too bad.
Think of how much money it would cost to send your sales people out on 50 calls around the country. Now deduct how much it cost you to send them to this ONE trade show and have 50 conversations. This is how much you are saving by sending sales people to a trade show.
But sending is only the first part.
Give them parameters to work by, number of conversations they should be having. Not number of leads they came back with.
Conversations are key to starting a friendship with a customer. You don't just call someone up and ask to be their friend. You both identify how your needs can help each other.


No comments: