My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 3 seconds. If not, visit
http://mikegerholdt.com
and update your bookmarks.

May 7, 2007

Handshake and a hello!


Remember not too long ago I got a mailer from Mr. Movies addressed to Resident?

I do.

And I really didn't care for it because they didn't know my name.

But this last week I was impressed. No wait. I was blown over.

To be fair, as of Monday April 30th I wasn't the biggest fan of the Hilton Family Hotels. They lost my reservation in Dallas and in New Orleans they put me in a smoking room. Which for those of us non-smokers is like sleeping in a bar. The list is probably longer of things that have happened to me but I just quit counting.

But they won me back. Yes, after all that I would recommend a Hilton and its not for the new Be Hospitable campaign, which is cool I must say.

They did it with a simple handshake and a hello. Just that easy.

Well actually not just that easy, you see it took an entire staff's dedication to customer service. This last week while staying at the Hilton Riverside in New Orleans and hosting a conference every member of the staff remembered my name. At least five or six times a day hotel staff would come and check on our status of the conference rooms, lights, equipment, and everything else. And every time they would remember my name.

Every time!

Oh, but the nay-sayers would have you believe that its because we were they hosting a conference. Sure, that could have been it. If we were the only ones in the hotel having a conference. But the Sugar Bowl commitee was there with convention, a large pharmaceutical manufacturer was there with a sales convention, and well you get the point. No this was dedication on the staff's part to customer service pure and simple. To be fair they did move me out of that smoking room, but after having some time to think about the whole experience it was the handshake and a hello that really put them in my good graces.

The Selling Point:

So this wasn't just meant to be a great plug for the Hilton Riverside New Orleans, but if you are down there... No it's not that, this is intended to remind you that the simplest of gestures can win your customers back. Even those that are hardcore against you. Some may take more than just a handshake and a hello, but it can be done.

Take the first step today do one small gesture to win, keep, and turn all of your customers into champions for your product.

What is the first thing you will do?


No comments: