My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 3 seconds. If not, visit
http://mikegerholdt.com
and update your bookmarks.

February 11, 2007

Johnny 5 is Alive!

Friday I read an article on Adage.com that GM was being pressured to pull its "suicidal robot spot" after pressure from The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. Personally I don't see how a robot jumping off a bridge would want to make me commit suicide. And if I was suicidal what was I doing watching the Super Bowl?

I digress.

I am here today to let you know that the robot lives! The above screen capture was taken from the Yahoo.com homepage today. Looks like he survived the fall.

But more importantly, what was he doing this last week? Wouldn't it have been to GM's advantage to paste that robot everywhere? So let me get this straight--$2.6 Million for an ad, and as a follow up you put up a banner on Yahoo.com!?! And the only call to action is a "Click here to learn more".

The Selling Point:
If your going to spend that kind of money you should be able to capitalize on the buzz you created. When it comes to creating buzz around your product--Go Big or go home!
I understand that the American automakers are having problems with perceived quality versus actual quality. But they are also having issues with execution. A commercial here and a banner there still doesn't make me want a Cobalt.


tags technorati :

No comments: