My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 3 seconds. If not, visit
http://mikegerholdt.com
and update your bookmarks.

March 16, 2007

Timeclocks are so yesterday

Not to long ago I posted my "business ethos", what would be important to me if I was a company president. One of my underlying factors was to focus on the work and not the hours. Personally I think that companies would be more productive and keep people a lot longer if they focused on the work and not the hours employees put in. Honestly, how much time do you waste at work that could be spent doing something else? Wouldn't it be nice to come, accomplish your tasks and move on with your day?

I had all but lost hope on this idea ever entering corporate america.

Then I read this article on CNN yesterday about Best Buy looking into its scheduling procedures for its sales people. Instead of scheduling hours, you work as much as you need to accomplish your sales goals. What a great idea! Having been a retail manager and district manager for a few years, some of the hardest associates to manager are part-timers and college students. And its easy to understand why. They have a bunch of things going on and they don't have the same vested interest in the company that management or full-time associates possess. Understandable. No one says they want to grow up and be an assistant department manager in-charge of shipping and receiving, or whatever attempt at a politically correct title your company thought up for you.

Ok, so I realize that my last few posts are about Best Buy. And perhaps it appears as though I have been drinking the "Best Buy Kool-aid", but maybe I have. They are changing the face of retail and they are doing it with more than just words, they using actions. But more importantly they are doing for all the right reason, progress.

The Selling Point:
If you always do what the leader does, you will always follow the leader. So don't be afraid to change things up for the sake of progress.


No comments: