My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 3 seconds. If not, visit
http://mikegerholdt.com
and update your bookmarks.

January 1, 2007

Gap Got It!



My mom is part owner of a up and coming consignment/reseller store. Kind of like a Stuff Etc., but without all the B.S. It's in a small town and has really good customer service. Ok, so thats my plug for her shop. But here is where this small town store in Marengo Iowa, and Gap are one in the same. They both get it! What's it? (And I am not referring the wonderful eBay campaigns.) "IT" is the customer experience from the moment you walk in the door, to the time you leave, and continues on until you tell someone about the store.
At a recent visit to Gap, I was greeted right away, and their salespeople were relentless. Like any good retailer they know that getting me in the door is 70% of the battle. So once they had me their people were like piranhas on the hunt. They helped me find what I was looking for, gave me a dressing room. And oh yeah, suggest more clothes that went with what I was trying on. Bingo! Gold award for you.

But here is the part they do great. At the checkout they handed me a coupon for my next visit! If you asked yourself why, they you don't get it. But I will tell you why. They knew that they got me in the store once, and if I had a positive enough experience (say over 55% likeability) I will probably return. The coupon raises my interest to 85% immediately. Kudos Gap your doing it right, you are keeping me coming back.

So what does all this have to do with a mom and pop store in the middle Iowa? That is an easy question. The mom and pop store in the middle of Iowa is a consignment store. Their customers come in twice every time they visit. How great is that! They get a potential customer in the door who is looking to sell their used, but not used up clothing. And then if they want the money for it, they have to come back. Two trips, double the opportunity to sell more product! Think of it. Gap had to give me a coupon to get me back. The reseller didn't have to do anything, and I will be back. For those of you doing the math that's twice the opportunity to sell them something. My mom realized this early on, and learned to take her time checking in the new customer's clothing allowing them to shop. Guess what, most of them found something to buy right away. She turned them into a customer immediately!

The Selling Point: It's not that we should all be consignment store owners. It's in how you get your customers back into your store. And lets face it if they don't come back I can guarantee that they will tell all their friends why, and good luck getting them through the door. Think of creative ways to get them to come back. And the ENTIRE time that they are in the store make sure they receive the best service that you are known for. Remember the store experience is the most critical part of the sale along with the product.

No comments: